Package includes 12 days of room and food, distributed as follows: 7 days of ESL and IT Classes, 3 days of cultural immersion, and 2 free days.
DURATION: 2 weeks
DATES: July 10-22, 2017; January 8-20, 2018
Depending on age, course duration, and weather, participants may visit the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park, Las Vegas, and Zion National Park. Additionally, Saint George and surrounding areas count with a wide selection of restaurants, local museums, sport fields, lakes and rivers, and multiple natural venues where to practice outdoor sports.
Objective: to offer strategies to improve oral and written proficiency of academic English.
Minimum English level: Intermediate-High in the ACTFL scale. The level will be assessed before arrival.
1. Become familiar with the structure of expository and persuasive essays.
2. Produce simple but complete expository and persuasive essays and write academic correspondence and article summaries.
3. Visit classes taught by experienced faculty apt in the delivery of academic content.
4. Learn listening and note-taking strategies and engage in note taking during scholarly lectures.
5. Practice developing and delivering academic presentations.
6. Participate in pre-presentation activities to improve pronunciation and grammar.
7. Be part of conversation tables with professionals in several academic fields.
8. Participate in experiential activities that require interaction with the local community.
9. Enjoy weekend excursions to National Parks and several cultural activities.
By the end of the second week, students should be able to
1. Produce basic but complete expository and persuasive essays.
2. Produce academic correspondence (e.g., emails, notes, summaries, and memos) observing the conventions of academic writing.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of editing strategies used in essay writing, and other academic communication.
4. Create and deliver presentations observing academic standards and expectations.
5. Improve language accuracy in oral presentations.
6. Compare selected cultural practices of students’ culture of origin vis-a-vis host cultural practices.
Week #1 Become familiar with the structure of academic essays and presentations. Produce an expository essay. Give a brief presentation based on the student’s expository essay subject.
Week #2 Explore argument essay topics through lectures and research. Develop note-taking skills. Gather, discuss, and evaluate information. Produce short but complete persuasive essay. Work on editing skills. Develop and give a final oral presentations based on the student’s persuasive essay topic.
Registration for this opportunity is not yet open. Check back soon!